Saturday 13 April 2013

The Penny

I gave a penny to a boy
Who spent it on a wooden toy.

The boy that he had bought it from
Had been saving for a plastic gun.

The toy seller kept a penny from this profit
Which rolled down a drain when I dropped it.

The penny was chipped but still intact
Until eaten by a hungry rat.

The rat it ran out onto the street
To be flattened by a passing jeep.

The rat rotted and was washed away
But the penny remained until one day

A passer by picked it up
Crying, "Ooh, now I have good luck!"

Forgetting he was in the street
And was flattened by another jeep.

The penny it rolled through the town
Into a river to drown.

Where it was eaten by a fish.

The fish was caught
And the fisherman thought

"What a lovely meal
This will be for us all."

His family of five
Ate the fish to find

The daughter with a sore tooth
And a penny in her mouth.

She said it was lucky
And put it on a shelf for all to see.

Years later she left
And her parents thought it best

To sell the house,
Move somewhere else
And sit out the rest.

Today I am excited
To move into the house I've always wanted.

As I peer round the door
There, on the floor,

A copper coin staring back at me,
A flash in my memory,

But oh no, I forgot it
And slip the penny into my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment